I hate to love this show…or I love to hate it. Maybe both. But the point is that I still watch. How to Get Away with Murder still keeps the motors upstairs running, despite my opinions on it. This week’s episode was pretty good. There were some memorable moments.
- Wes–dead or alive. Is he really dead? That’s what many people want to know. I wish that he was still alive and I’m not alone in this. My wish is for Wes to come back in the season finale, grab that baby and take him far away from the madness. But since that isn’t happening, I will say this. Killing Wes off was a major mistake. He should still be alive, and the show just feels empty without him. I would trade him for Bonnie, Oliver or Frank in an instant. (Especially Frank.) But why was Dominic his emergency contact? Why was he meeting with Laurel’s mom? I get the feeling that they’re assassinating his character. And/or Wes (possibly) being alive is the carrot they’re dangling to keep fans interested. They never should’ve killed him. Speaking of character assassination….
- Let’s talk about Laurel. She used to be one of my favorites on the show. She was whip-smart, sassy, intuitive, sneaky etc. The real mini-Annalise. Then season 3 happened. They have really, really trashed her character over the past 2 seasons. To the point where she is nearly irredeemable. However, since season 4b started, I started feeling sorry for her. She went into pre-term labor because of Frank, gave birth in a broken elevator. Both she and little Wes almost died. Had her baby stolen from her. Forced to be in a psych ward. So on and so forth. So far, there aren’t any shocking secrets about Laurel. Nothing that would indicate that Dominick’s words about her were true. Not yet anyway.
- The Castillos. Now Jorge is innocent and her mother is the real mastermind behind Wes’ murder? Makes sense. Not really. Based on what we know about Laurel’s dad, he’s not a good guy. He’s incredibly manipulative, ruthless, psycho and he will do anything to get what he wants. Even at the expense of his family. And even if he is innocent of Wes’ murder, he’s definitely killed before. He put both his daughter and his then-wife in psych wards just because they were inconveniences. Definitely not a good person. Laurel once said that he was just like Frank. What about Laurel’s mother? She seemed relatively harmless most of the episode. Then that picture of her and Wes popped up and it made me wonder. What if they both wanted him dead? Why would Sandrine team up with the man who made her life hell? Why would she want Wes dead? Or is this just another cheap thrill courtesy of Nowalk and company? And Laurel’s mother is completely innocent?
- That Defense Attorney. What a jerk. I felt sorry for all of his, um, victims. But none more than Dr. Roa.
- Poor Isaac. I felt so sorry for him this week. It seems like his life became even more crappy since he met Annalise. D.A. Jerkwad basically slaughtered Issac on the stand, accusing him of killing his late daughter, Stella. Because of that, his medical opinion was deemed worthless. So Laurel lost her custody battle. That wasn’t the worst of it. In the last scene, Issac is alone in his office. It appears that he relapsed, just like his ex-wife feared he would. Sad…….
- Nate’s dad. We finally get a bit of a background on Nate. His father had been in prison for most of Nate’s life. And their relationship is strained because the latter chose to be a cop. Given the way that Nate Sr. was treated in jail, I can’t really blame him. I felt sorry for him.
Looks like Laurel finally meets her son next week. And we’ll hopefully learn a little more about her and Mommy. Until next time……