DO you want good news or bad news? Well, I guess we’ll start with the good news. Last season was a disaster, with a capital “D”. The sole episode I liked from season was the Scandal crossover. But this season is better than the previous season, but not by much. It’s great to see them back in the court room, trying cases. Annalise has finally moved out of the Heartbreak Hotel, and into her own apartment. And it’s way better than the Keating house, and much more inviting. It was nice to see Annalise winning again…
But the bad news is the 5th season so far is….underwhelming? It feels like they’re not completely done punishing Annalise. The woman has been through enough! She should just come up with a brilliant Machiavellian scheme that will put the Keating 4 in jail forever. And maybe kill Frank? But that’s unrealistic, isn’t it? Plus, despite all of the new additions, you can still kinda feel the Wes-lessness.
But anyways, here are some more thoughts on season 5A.
- Another dead A.D.A: It turns that the victim was none other than A.D.A John Miller. He was Bonnie’s new love and her boss. He seemed to truly love Bonnie for who she was. He endured a brutal beatdown over a crime he probably didn’t commit. His whole death scene was tough to watch. Long, drawn-out, painful. Unnecessary. Definitely in my top 5 as far as the death scenes on HTGAWM. And on to of it, a poor little baby witnesses it all! Who were the culprits?
- Making a murderer: While Bonnie was the one who delivered the ‘final blow’, it was because of Nate. When Nate got the picture of Miller on the pay phone, he went mad. Then he beat the crap out of the poor guy. This is majorly out if character for Nate. In the five years out of watching this show, I’ve never seen such a 180. Nate is one of the rare good people on the show…or was. He’s never lost his cool. Okay maybe once or twice. He never punished Annalise or the K4, even when he should’ve. He’s always helped them, was kind, patient and decent. So to see him behave this way makes no sense whatever. But then again, what does make sense on this messy show anymore?
- Poor Nate Sr. : Why is that whenever someone is happy on this show, someone comes along and wrecks it? I mean, Wes finally finds happiness, and he gets killed. Annalise finally realizes that Eve is the one for her, she gets rejected. Nate Sr is finally set free after years of mistreatment, and he gets gunned down. For what? Somebody set that poor man up. He didn’t go crazy on the guards like they said. They killed him on purpose. But who is responsible for the set-up? Right now, the most likely suspect is the Governor. While I do believe that she’s shady, I’m not sure she’s responsible for Nate Sr.’s death. I mean, she could be. Miller certainly wasn’t. But things are never what they appear to be on HTGAWM. I think there’s another player here that we don’t about yet.
- Annalise and the Not-so-Fantastic four: Interesting how they weren’t involved in the murder this time, but they’ll definitely be involved in the big cover-up.
- Gabriel is…: The son of Sam. Keating, that is. Obviously, Gabriel was brought in to make up for the massive mistake of killing off Wes. But his motives for being involved in the Keating people’s lives was unclear. Until the last few minutes. Then it became shockingly clear. Gabriel wants to make these people pay for killing his father. A constant reminder of what they did in season 1A. It’s actually brilliant! But how is it all going to play out?
- Laurel’s mother: I’m fairly certain that the witch killed her own mother. But there’s no proof either way. Did she just up and disappear? We got no explanation as to what happened to her. I wanted to know.
So the season so far isn’t that good, but not exactly. I may binge-watch the second half and write something then.